Ruffled Flower Rosette Tutorial

Hello! This month has just slipped right through my fingers! I can't believe we are almost in April. I have been sewing a lot lately, and made my daughter a dress, and then with some left over fabric, I made a ruffled rosette that can be worn as a headband or belt! It turned out pretty cute, so I wanted to share with you all!


This is the flower, with her matching dress


Your first step is to cut out long strips of fabric. Mine are raw edges. You can always use check fray to prevent the fray if you do not like the raw edge look. 

I am going to show you how to ruffle by hand, if you are going to use a rufflers foot, skip this section.

 
When you put your strips under the foot, leave a long tail of thread at the beginning and the end as well. Make sure the stitch is set to a large width, and start sewing. Once you are done sewing, tie a knot with the threads on one end so that you can pull from the other end. 


Take your open end, and pull on the thread that came from the bobbin. You just need to hold the bobbin thread with one hand, and pinch the fabric with the other hand. You will see that is starts to create ruffles.
As you can see in this picture, I have pushed the ruffles to the right side (end with the knot).

Once you have a bunch of ruffles, carefully push them down the fabric towards the end with the knot. 

Repeat this process until you have a full strip of ruffles. Then tie the open end as well so you do not lose your ruffles.


Once you have all of your strips ruffled, it is time to glue them to your felt. 


You will need two felt circles. I traced a candle to create my circles.



Using a hot glue gun, glue the ruffles around one felt circle. Start on the outside and work your way in. Once you reach the middle, just take the end piece and tuck it in. gluing in place.

 Here is the flower from the front

 And from the back 


Since I want to be able to use my flower as a headband or belt, I will not be attaching it directly onto anything. Instead, I took my other felt circle, and cut two sides off. 


Then, glue just the top and bottom curve of your new piece, and attach it to the back side of your flower (on top of your felt circle)


And that's it! You should have an opening where you can slide your headband through, or belt through. If the opening is too big, you can always go back and glue it so that it becomes smaller. 

Have fun with this one! I will be creating a tutorial on how to make this into a belt for mom to wear too!

Comments

  1. Too cute!!! And your daughter is a doll! You have the best ideas! I love to visit, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so adorable! love it! im a new reader :)
    www.mypeacefulreminder.blogspot.com
    www.bloomststudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clear directions and clear pictures! Your little one is sooo pretty! Bless!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Hooded Towels

Maxi Skirt Tutorial

Graduation Cupcake Stand