Yarn Pom Poms


Today I took a break from birthday party stuff and Gia and I made some yarn pom poms or puffs. You can use these for anything, but we made little puff wands with ours.


First thing you will need is yarn. We bought some colorful yarn that was on sale the last time we were at the fabric store.


Next, you will need to wrap it around something. We used our hands, and she had so much fun with this! If you use your hands, do not wrap too tight, you will need to slip it off once you are done.


Next, cut about 12 inches of yarn and lay it flat. you will use this to tie your gathered piece. Once you have wrapped as much as you would like (the more you wrap, the fuller your puff will be) you will need to slip it off your hand, and lay it on top of a piece of yarn.


Then tie it as tight as you can. 


This is what you will have once you tie it. Your next step will be to cut the loops. 


Place your scissor blade under a bunch of loops, and cut! Cut all the way around, until all loops are cut.


This is what your puff will look like once you have cut all the way around. Then go around and trim all the longer pieces of yarn so that it will take the shape of a pom pom. 

You will have something like this once you have trimmed it up. I left my tie strings long, because I will be using them when making our wands. You can cut yours short if you do not need them. 


To make our wands, I took skewer sticks, and cut off the sharp end, then added some hot glue.

And stuck the stick right where my tie was at. I pushed it into the puff a bit and then pushed the puff up against the stick. 


And that is it! I couldn't get Gia to stop moving her puff wand, so this is the best picture I could get.

For the bigger puffs, I wrapped the yarn around my hand.

Comments

  1. These are too cute! I wish I was crafty.

    I stopped by from MBC to say hi and I'm following you now.

    http://tripledutymomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are super cute! Linking up tomorrow at Tangled Happy. Thanks so much for sharing this fun idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute idea! Will have to make for my granddaughters!!! : ) xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! We will be making them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the idea! I think I will make some heart shaped pompom wands for Valentine's day :)

    www.baconflavouredjam.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made these, and they are so fun. =) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look just like Truffula trees from The Lorax! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just searched pom poms in pinter estate and your poms were the first ones to pop up. Looks simple and easy can't wait to make them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Hooded Towels

Maxi Skirt Tutorial

Graduation Cupcake Stand