"Ready to Pop" Baby Shower Boxes

Source Pinterest
I found these Ready to Pop boxes on Pinterest. Since I am hosting my sister-in-law's baby shower, I was in need of some ideas. I instantly knew I had to make this one. So here is what I came up with..

These are made from scrapbook paper, scrapbook transparent paper, and brown card stock. SUPER inexpensive and cute!

First, you will need your material:
  1. Scrapbook paper. I used 12x12 inch striped paper. I was able to make two boxes out of each paper.
  2. Transparent paper. I found the blue transparent paper at Michael's Craft for .49/each. They also have pink. I only needed three papers for 12 boxes. You will use this for the "Ready to Pop" slogan.
  3. Brown paper. I bought the thick cardstock paper at Michael's that measured 8.5''x11''. I only needed one sheet for all 12 pregnancy silhouettes.
  4. Pregnancy silhouette. I printed mine off Google images. It took a few tries to get it to be the right size. Once you print the right size, cut it out and use it for tracing. 
  5. Clear tape.
 First you will need to make your boxes. I decided that I wanted mine to be 4'' tall. For this, you will need to have a 6'' height for your paper. Since my paper was 12''x12'', the width of the box will be 3'' (I will go over how to get this measurement in the next few steps.)
           - Since my paper was 12'' in height, I was able to get to boxes from each. So I cut my paper in half. Now I had two 6''x12'' papers. 
(For the box construction, I will be showing you how to make it with plain white paper.)

Now, take your sheet of paper, and fold it in half.

I will mark my paper with red pen for the tutorial, do not mark your papers, or it will show on your boxes. 

Once you have it folded in half, open the paper, and take the right side, and fold that in half. Do this by taking the right edge of the paper, and bring it to the middle of the paper. Use the first half fold as a guide. (As you can see, I have marked the first half fold in red.)

Once you have the right side folded, do the same for the left side. Your paper should look like this. Press on all creases!
Open your paper, and this is what you should have. Four columns, and three creases. (minus the red pen markings) This is how you will get the width of each box. Since my paper was 12'' long, with four columns, that makes each column 3''. (3''x 4 columns =12'') 
                                      
Next, we will make the slits to make the bottom of the box. As you can see, I have marked where 4'' is at. (I wrote 4.5'' on accident, but it is 4'' in measurement.) Make a mark, with pencil, on each crease. You will start from the bottom, and measure 2'' up, then make a dot. 
Now cut, from the bottom, up to the dots. You should now have 2'' slits along each crease. A total of 3 slits. 

Next, you need to fold each 2'' piece towards the inside. Do this for all 4 bottom pieces. 

It should look like this. Make sure to really press your creases. 

I have numbered my pieces for the tutorial purpose. Do not number yours. 

STEPS TO CLOSE BOTTOM:

  1. Take 1, put it over 2, and tape in place. 
  2. Take 3, put it over 1, and tape in place.
  3. Take 4, and put it over 3, and tape in place.
This is what you will have. Your side will still be open. We will tape that closed next.

Next, tape your side closed. I started from the bottom, up.

I placed one piece of tape at the bottom, and one at the top. You wont need more, since the box will only be holding lightweight popcorn, but if you would like, you can tape up the entire side. 

And there you have it, your finished box! A lot of steps, but it is easy to make. 

Next, we will make the silhouettes, and banner. 
I printed mine a few times before I got it to be a little under 4''. I wanted my lady to be just about as tall as my 4'' boxes. Once you have yours the right size, trace it onto your brown paper. (I found my silhouette image on google, here)

I traced mine with a pencil, and it shows just enough to be able to cut it out. GO ahead and trace yours as many times as you need, and then cut them all out.

 For the armhole, and under the pony tail, I had to use an exacto knife, (if you don't have one, you can use a sharp box cutter or razor blade.) Just be careful not to get your fingers!!

 Then you will have to take the banner, print one out on plain paper, and line it up with the box, and your silhouette, to get the perfect fit. I had to change mine around and reprint about 4 times to get it right. Once you have it just right, go ahead and print an entire sheet of them on your transparent paper.
     -I took the header and footer off, and used landscape to print mine out. I was able to get 5 banners on each sheet.
 ***Make sure to let the ink dry. It will take longer than printing on regular paper, because it is transparent paper. You don't want your ink to smudge**
 Now cut them into strips. 

Take the strip, lay it on the box...
Then fold it over the edge. Pinch it along the edge. 

You will have some excess paper on each side. It will not be enough to go all the way around the box, but that is ok!

All you will do is, cut it as close to the edge as you can. You will only have one side (the back) that is not covered with the transparent paper.

Once you have the banner folded along the edges, and the excess paper trimmed, tape the ends along the edges. Do this for each side. ***Make sure you line your banner up with your silhouette before taping it down. You want to make sure the face does not cover your writing.***

Woo hoo, ALMOST done!
Glue the back of your silhouette...

Press it against your box, and.....

You are DONE! Yay!!! Now, go make the rest and enjoy!

I can't wait to fill these with popcorn! 


Email me if you have any questions, or if you would like to share your finished popcorn box! I would love to see what you make.

Comments

  1. Hi Nora,
    I stumbled upon your blog via the Tangled Happy blog. And I'm soooo glad I found you - I think you have such a lovely place here! Your makes are gorgeous - and your tutorials are just great!!!
    I'll definitely be visiting you again....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Carly! I'm glad you came across the blog, and hope you visit again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Hooded Towels

Maxi Skirt Tutorial

Graduation Cupcake Stand